Maybe it’s just the kid in me, but I go nuts over cinnamon rolls. I mean, you just can’t beat the taste (or smell!) of fresh-from-the-oven cinnamon rolls drizzled with a gooey, sweet glaze. Growing up, I couldn’t wait for Saturday mornings when my mom would bake a batch of cinnamon rolls, and I still haven’t grown out of my obsession over this sweet breakfast treat. That’s just one reason why I knew I had to make these Strawberry Cinnamon Rolls the second I saw them.
I have to be honest: I’ve never had flavored cinnamon rolls before I baked these. But, I thought, how can you go wrong with a combo of cinnamon, strawberry jam and freshly sliced strawberries? The answer: You can’t!
These cinnamon rolls were super simple and fun to make, and they didn’t take hours to whip up like some of the other recipes out there. And surprisingly enough, they were just as delicious without the easy-to-make icing as they were with it.
I’m sure this breakfast recipe is even better during the summer season—and can probably be made with different jams and fruits—but I couldn’t pass up a chance to incorporate more Christmas colors into my holiday baking. And who could wait another six months to devour these mouth-watering treats anyway? Check out the recipe below:
Strawberry Cinnamon Rolls
Yield: 12 rolls (via A Few Short Cuts)
3/4 cup, plus 1-2 tablespoons milk
1/3 cup margarine or butter, softened
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons instant yeast
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water
1 cup strawberry jam
1/2, plus 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups sliced strawberries
1 cup powdered sugar
1. Heat 3/4 cup milk in small saucepan until warm. Mix in butter until melted, then cool until lukewarm.
2. In large bowl, combine 2 1/4 cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Mix well.
3. Stir in egg and 1/4 cup water, and mix well. Stir in milk mixture until dough forms.
4. Stir in additional cup of flour. When dough comes together, flip onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
5. Return dough ball to bowl, cover with a damp towel and let rest for 10 minutes.
6. Roll out dough into a 15 x 10-inch rectangle. Spread strawberry jam across dough, and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Evenly cover dough with sliced strawberries.
7. Roll up dough and pinch seam to seal. Cut into 12 equal-size rolls.
8. Place rolls cut-side up in a greased baking dish. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes. While waiting, preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
9. Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
10. While baking, mix powdered sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon with 1 tablespoon milk. Stir until glaze forms, adding up to 1 additional tablespoon of milk for desired consistency. Drizzle glaze over finished rolls.