You guys, I am so ready for a new year! The New Year’s Eve outfit has been picked, the goals have been set, the resolutions have been made—2014, you’re mine! I came to terms with my resolutions this year and, for once, didn’t even attempt to add “eat better” or “cut down on sweets” to the list. And to be honest, it’s not because I don’t eat healthfully anyway. I love a good salad, and you can’t find a girl out there who loves her fruit and veggies more than I do. No, it’s because I just can’t resist the sweets. Put cakes, brownies, cookies, candies or pies anywhere in my vicinity, and you can be sure I’ll be munching on them within seconds.
Take these delicious Marbled Brownies, for example. I made these the other week for Harrison to take to his company’s holiday potluck, and even though they most definitely weren’t for me, I may or may not have “messed up” a few bite-sized pieces just so I could nibble on them. And believe me, it was so worth it.
I’ve actually never made brownies from scratch before, so I was surprised at how quick and easy it was to whip up the batter. And because they were made with a whole bar of unsweetened chocolate, they were so much richer and more flavor-packed than anything you can get out of a box. These brownies would have been delicious on their own—or even with a light layer of chocolate frosting over them—but I wanted to add in the cream cheese “batter” to make it more visually appealing.
Unfortunately, I accidentally overstirred the brownie-cream cheese mixture, so I didn’t get that cool marbling effect you would expect from a recipe like this. But what can I say? That’s what happens when you watch “Sex and The City” episodes while baking.
Check out the recipe below, and then tell me about some of your New Year’s resolutions (especially if they including eating more sweets!).
Yield: 4 dozen (via Southern Living’s Christmas Cookbook)
1 4-ounce unsweetened chocolate baking bar, chopped
3/4 cup butter
2 cups, plus 1/4 cup sugar
4 large eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 8-ounce-package softened cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Microwave chocolate and butter in large microwave-safe bowl on high for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, or until melted and smooth, stirring at 30-second intervals.
2. Whisk in 2 cups sugar and 4 eggs until well blended. Stir in flour, then spread half of batter into greased 13- x 9-inch pan.
3. Beat cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 egg yolk and vanilla extract at medium speed with electric mixer until smooth.
4. Dollop cream cheese mixture over brownie batter in pan. Dollop with remaining brownie batter, and swirl together using a paring knife.
5. Bake for 35–40 minutes, then cool 1 hour on a wire rack.