Harrison likes to do this thing where he pretends to hate sweets, but completely devours them almost anytime I bake something up. So I wasn’t terribly surprised on Saturday evening when we had company over and he asked me to make a dessert for the occasion, specifically requesting these Reece’s Peanut Butter Cup Brownies. I don’t know whether to be happy that he did (because they’re unbelievably delicious) or angry that he did (because they’re unbelievable addictive), but either way, I’m so glad I decided to make them.
For this batch, I used milk chocolate brownie mix, which made for super-sweet (though deliciously peanut buttery) brownies. And though there’s nothing wrong with that, I’d definitely love to make something a little richer and fudgier next time, as well as bake it in the right-sized pan so the brownies are a little thicker (I only had a 13 x 9, so the brownies ended up thinner than I would have liked, almost like brownie bars instead). But honestly, no matter how you spin it, this is one tasty dessert that anyone with even the slightest bit of a sweet tooth will absolutely devour. Check out the recipe below.
Reece’s Peanut Butter Cup Brownies
Yield: 1 dozen (recipe via Center Cut Cook)
1 batch of your favorite brownies, made in an 8×8 or 9×9-inch pan
14 snack-size Reece’s Peanut Butter Cups
Chocolate syrup, if desired
1. Line pan with foil both horizontally and vertically, then spray with cooking oil. Bake brownies according to package directions.
2. About 3-5 minutes before brownies are done baking, remove from oven and place around 9 unwrapped peanut butter cups, face down, on top of brownies. Gently press peanut butter cups into brownies.
3. Return pan to oven and bake for remaining 3-5 minutes.
4. Remove brownies from oven, then use a spatula to spread melted chocolate over brownies like frosting. (Note: The peanut butter won’t spread, so don’t worry about getting that to smooth over the brownies.)
5. Allow brownies to cool for 30 minutes at room temperature, then 1 hour in the refrigerator.
6. Chop remaining peanut butter cups into small pieces, then sprinkle over top of brownies. Cut into squares, drizzle with chocolate syrup if desired and serve.