You know that phrase that starts, “Even the best-laid plans… ?” Well, I was living that adage on Saturday when I got ready to bake these beautiful and extremely yummy muffins. First, the bananas I had set aside turned out to be much too ripe to use for the recipe. Then, I opened my jar of Nutella only to discover that I just barely had enough left to cover the amount that’s called for (I guess that’s what happens when you can’t resist the yummy spread).
But I managed to push through the hurdles and bake these goodies just in time for my mother’s long-awaited arrival Saturday evening. And boy, am I glad I did. Not only do they smell amazing and look gorgeous, but their sweet, ooey-gooey taste isn’t too shabby either.
I would typically consider banana muffins a breakfast item, but as indulgent as these little babies are, you could definitely serve them up for dessert or a sweet treat, too. Paired with a cold glass of milk, a hot espresso and even a little extra Nutella on the side, I can’t think of anyone who could pass them up.
Ready to try ’em yourself? Then check out the recipe below.
Banana Nutella Swirl Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins (recipe via Alaska From Scratch)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
4 ripe bananas, mashed
½ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ cup Nutella
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line 12-count muffin pan with cupcake liners.
2. In large bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In another bowl, stir together mashed bananas, sugar, brown sugar, egg, vegetable oil, buttermilk and vanilla extract.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, and stir until completely combined. Divide batter evenly into muffin cups.
5. Place Nutella in microwave-safe bowl, then heat 15-30 seconds, or until smooth and stir-able. Spoon about 2 teaspoons Nutella on top of each muffins. Using a toothpick, swirl Nutella into top of muffin batter in a circular motion.
6. Bake 15-18 minutes, or until baked through and set.